Tuesday, September 9, 2014

31DC2014 Day 9 - Rainbow Brite Nail Art

Hey there!  Thanks for all your kind words on my blogiversary yesterday.  You guys are awesome!

It's Day 9 of the 31 Day Challenge!  For today's theme is Rainbow Nails I'm sure I'm dating myself but I completely love what I did.  I've gone went WAY out of my comfort zone and tried to doodle on some Rainbow Brite nail art.  This was my sister's suggestion when I was at a loss for a rainbow design idea even though she wasn't even born when Rainbow Brite was a thing!  Poor girl knows way too much about the 80's and 90's thanks to having two sisters who are nearly a decade older than her.



For those of you who are either too young or elsewhere on the globe, Rainbow Brite was a TV show back in the 80's.  Honestly I don't remember the TV show at all but I do remember the Rainbow Brite doll and the colouring books I had.  

To create these, I started with a white base and then used a Sharpie (yes, a Sharpie...I wasn't ready to try this with paint just yet) to draw on Rainbow Brite and Twink.  I was sure this little guy's name was Sprite but it turns out he was a Sprite named Twink.  Then I used acrylic paint and some jelly polishes to fill them in with colour.


On my other nails, I created the rainbows using all Glam Polish colours, mostly from the Grease collection - You're The One That I Want (red), Fawn (orange), We Go Together (yellow), Grease is the Word (green), Summer Nights (blue) and Look At Me I'm Sandra Dee (purple).


I topped it all with HK Girl top coat and learnt why people don't use Sharpies for their nail art.  The top coat did make my black lines bleed a bit.


I'm actually really proud of how these turned out.  And even my sister liked them!  And she's one tough critic!  But even though she doesn't usually love what my nail art, check out how supportive she can be.  She made me this super cute card for my blog birthday yesterday complete with some of my favourite brands!


'Til next time...









No comments: