Thursday, April 30, 2015

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Nail Art

Hey there!  For those of you who don't know, I participate in a book club on Facebook, called The Polished Bookworms, filled with nail polish-loving folk like me.  It's super fun to read books that I might not normally hear about and then do nail art inspired by them.  This month's book definitely wasn't new to me.  I read it ages ago (and still remember laughing out loud while reading it for the first time) so I gladly re-read it last month for the book club.  As the post title suggests, this month's book was The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.  I couldn't resist doing a galaxy mani (inspired by the book cover) that I then mostly covered with some stamping inspired by my favourite part of the book.



For the galaxy nails, I stuck with all blues like on the book cover.  I started with 2 coats of Cult Nails Time Traveller then sponged on bits of Essie Aruba Blue, Sally Hansen Pacific Blue, KBShimmer Sky Jinks and Zoya Blu.  Then I splattered it with white acrylic paint using a toothbrush, added a couple bigger white dots and voila, galaxy nails!  


Man I love how these galaxy nails turned out.  So here's a couple more photos of them before the stamping bits.



Then, so I didn't *just* do galaxy nails, I used my favourite part of the book, about the whale and the bowl of petunias.  If you haven't read it (or don't remember it) you can read that bit here.  I thought it was SO darn funny.  I even have a T-shirt from ThinkGeek with the whale falling to the planet.  So funny!


For the whale I used Winstonia W304 and Mundo de Unas Light Grey (#34) and white acrylic paint to make stamping decals.  For the bowl of flowers (which are roses, not petunias *sad face*) I used Konad m84 and Mundo de Unas Lilac (#16) and white acrylic paint.  And I also used the white acrylic paint to write in their thoughts of "who am I?" and "not again" and to add a few lines to make it look like they're falling.  And everything was finished with HK Girl top coat.



While I definitely liked the mani before the extra bits, it was really fun to do some nail art inspired more directly from one of my favourite books.  If you haven't read it, and you like dry British humour like I do, I definitely recommend this book!

'Til next time...


No comments: